Monday, January 30, 2012

Orange Laces

Angie and Justin supported my fundraising by making very generous donations this week. Because of their donations, I will receive my first incentive - orange shoe laces.
Last year, when I reached $500, I also received a pair of the orange shoe laces. I put them on my running shoes, even though they are VERY orange. I was proud of the accomplishment of raising $500, but I wanted to see them when I ran as a reminder of why I was running, and for whom I was running.
You see, the laces came with a post card. It shows a young boy smiling as his hands catch water coming from a spigot. The picture always stayed with me...I could never really get the obvious joy in his face out of my mind. I thought about my kids and couldn't imagine them ever getting excited about a glass of clean cold water. Even living in Texas, a glass of cold water in August doesn't elicit the pure joy that is obvious on his face.
It's that joy that makes me get off my butt and go train. It is that joy that motivates me to fund raise and beg you for money.
I want you to feel a little of that joy - so, I am offering my shoe laces to a randomly selected gift giver. I will pick one person (randomly) from all of the people who donate $15, or more, to my fundraising up until the first race (March 24). All you have to do is donate, and I will pick an name out of a hat an send you the laces, and the postcard. That way, you can put them on YOUR running shoes and always remember that you brought joy to someone through your donation for clean water.
Thanks, and good luck.

SL

No comments: