Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Wet and Wild Ride

This weekend saw me compete in my second Sprint Triathlon, the Caveman Triathlon in Flower Mound, TX.  The distances were similar to my first and I was looking forward to improving my performance, particularly in the transitions.

On Saturday I had to pick up my packet at a Triathlon store in Plano.  I got there early and they were still setting up packet pickup, so I browsed the store…In particular, I was interested in learning more about how to dress for the race.  In my first Tri, I noticed - rather, Angie noticed and commented on the fact that I was the only participant in a regular cargo short type bathing suit.  During that race, I wore compression shorts under my bathing suit and changed out of my suit into my bike shorts during the first transition.  During the second transition I changed out of my bike shorts and into running shorts.  Because of these wardrobe changes, my transition times were what I thought quite long.

At the store, I inquired about what clothing options there were.  The employee brought me over the the tri clothes section.  They have special tri shorts that you swim, bike and run in.  Unfortunately, there were none in my size (it’s hard to find tri stuff that fits a larger than normal triathlete).  So, I purchased a pair of padded bike shorts and decided that I was going to swim and run in them.

Come Sunday morning, the weather forecast was not good, and the blustery winds and ominous clouds portended a wet race.  As we waited in the staging area to begin the race, the wind picked up even more and the deluge came.  Fortunately, the staging area and swim were indoors.

I loaded with my group and slowly approached the start.  I was called forward, stepped on the timing mat, waited for the beep, and jumped in.  I felt very strong during the swim.  Since we only went in one direction in each lane, there were passing opportunities.  I swam without any stops and passed several other swimmers.  I felt very strong and knew that I had a pretty quick swim.  Although the distance was 25 yards shorter than the first race, my time was just about 1:45 faster.  I got out of the pool and ran to my bike and the first transition.

It had started drizzling again by them, so there was no point in drying off.  I put my socks and bike shoes on and put my jersey on.  I finished with my helmet and then my gloves and was off the the mount area.  I mounted my bike and was off.  My transition time was 5:02, about 1:15 faster than the first race.

The bike was a very fun ride.  Because we had to do two loops, there were all ability types on the course at the same time.  I passed a good number of riders and was passed by an equally good number.  The uphills in the wind made it feel like I was going to have to quit, or dismount to make it up the hill.  Although, in the lowest gear I was always able to make it.  The downhills were amazing and I would typically accelerate in a high gear and coast if necessary.  The wind on my face stung a little, but other than for having to take turns carefully, I didn’t let the wet affect me.

During my first race, I noticed that I could not stand and pedal.  Each time I tried, my pedals would fly away from me.  This race I wanted to really get some standing time in, particularly on the uphills.  I figured I would keep my bike in a higher gear and try again.  No matter what I did, I was unable to stand.  I am going to have to work on that.  I did try to keep my chain on the outer (larger) sprocket for the race and for the most part did, except after failing to stand on the uphills.

I completed the two loops (14 miles) in 57:17, which was 3 minutes longer than the previous race.  However, since the bike course was a mile longer, my pace was faster - over 14 MPH.  I dismounted and jogged to my transition spot.

My legs were really hurting after the ride.  I sat to change into my running shoes.  Since I didn’t have any clothing to change, my transition time was a bit quicker, over a minute and a half faster for a 3:20 T2 time.

I jogged out of the transition area.  There was a pretty good crowd lined up at the beginning of the route, and they energized me to keep jogging.  Once I got onto the trail and was alone, I started walking.  I really couldn’t feel my legs and found running difficult.  I ran for about a minute then walked for a minute.  Probably about a half mile in, I started getting some feeling in my legs and finally caught my breath.  At that point, I started running for longer and longer intervals, and walking for shorter ones.  The course felt like it had very long downhills, which I ran - knowing in the back of my mind I would have to come back on the uphill.  However, the uphills never felt so big or too long.  I jogged most of the rest of the course and finished with a little slower than normal 5k time of 39:53.  Although this course was a tenth of a mile shorter than the first, my time was a full five minutes faster.

I crossed the finish in 1:53:18.  I wanted to come in under two hours and I did.  Better yet, my pace on every part of the race was faster AND I took about 2 minutes and 45 seconds off from my transition times.

Although I am pleased with my progress, and these triathlons are so much fun (not like running half marathons - those aren’t a lot of fun for me), the real reason I am out there is to raise money for clean water in Africa through Team World Vision.  I remember my friends at World Vision when I run.  I remember my friends in Africa.  I remember our sponsor children when I don’t want to train.  I remember each and every supporter who makes a donation when I want to quit.  Yes, I look forward to getting stronger and lighter and pushing myself even harder (I will do a full Triathlon some day), but I really look forward to going back to Katito, Kenya and seeing the smiles on my “other family” and seeing the results of the good work going on over there…

…good work that is being funded by your donations.

Thanks for your support,


No comments: