Monday, April 20, 2009

Excellence Expected

A leader that I work with recently said in a meeting that she expects excellence when she deals with the services organizations of companies that she patronizes. In her opinion, it stemmed from the fact that she works and leads a services organization. Although I don't lead one, I completely agree with her. Because of our technical support background, we are uniquely in tune with service, when it is done well and when it is lacking.

I've blogged numerous times about those "lacking experiences". Whether the company was American Airlines, Emerson, or Comcast - I have not pulled my punches when I thought their service was crap.

I hope that I haven't been reluctant when I've seen an organization go beyond...

Note, that I didn't say do it well. I believe that every organization must do it well, as a minimum. What I mean is when an organization goes above and beyond. When excellence of performance is systemic and is celebrated. I'm talking about when a company, organization or group have it in their DNA to be the best.

I believe I work for a company that does this. I believe that mediocrity is frowned upon and that excellence is expected. If I didn't feel like the organization didn't celebrate the "job well done" I wouldn't work there. However, that isn't the purpose of this post. Rather, I'd like to celebrate another found example of excellence expected - at least in services.

The Texas Rangers baseball club seems to have it right. Unfortunately, I don't mean on the field (although, with some pitching, they might be excellent). Additionally, I am not talking about the concession. Irrespective of the ridiculous prices, I don't believe there is any excellence in the concession. The soft drink taps weren't working, the food is mediocre, and - sorry, I can't get past it, the prices are larceny.

However, there were of a group of people there that understood that excellence is an attitude...and even a day after the game, I still remember how helpful and friendly they were - and ultimately - their presence is what I still hold from the game. I don't know what you call them, but they were the individuals that were around the stadium who asked if we needed anything. Some held signs that said, "How Can I Help You?" Some just gave off the vibe that said, "I don't mind helping you, so please ask" instead of the "I work for minimum wage, so don't bother me....besides, I won't know anyway". The "ushers/assistants/concierge" people helped direct us to the girl scout parade, to the best viewing for pictures, to the bus between parking and the stadium, to a bathroom, etc." They also were turned away several times because we didn't need anything.

Most importantly, they provided a sense that the Ranger's organization really appreciated our dollars being spent at the ball park. To me, that's the greatest sentiment any company can convey to its customers.

Now, if they could do something about those $3.75 hot dogs - that would be excellent.

SL

1 comment:

Travis Erwin said...

3.75 for a hot dog beats 7 bucks for a beer.