Saturday, April 29, 2006

Around the globe, or bust!

Today I leave for a twelve day trip that will bring me to three cities in India (Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai) and to Manila, Philippines. Normally, I look forward to these trips, but this will be my fifth time to India and my second time to Manila (the last was last October).

Visiting this part of the world can be undeniably difficult. Forget the long flights, homesickness and incredible heat, being in that part of the world presents some interesting challenges.

For one, you have to be very careful as to what you put in your body. Eating and drinking very well cooked foods and bottled water are a necessity. I’ve gotten sick in India on two different occasions, even while being extremely careful. It is no fun.

Also, the long hours and busy agendas are difficult to work through. Because of the time difference, and the fact that they work US hours, it means that a typical work day is between 8:00PM and 5:00AM. Although you don’t have to worry about time zone changes too much, it just isn’t natural to work during the evening.

I thought for this trip that I would blog about the trip itself. Since I’ll be flying over 21,000 miles on 8 flights, and will have some downtime, as well, I think there will be some interesting items to share. Not the least of which is the 14.75 hour flight from Chicago to Delhi. It will be my second time on a flight that long, and the first in coach.



Saturday, April 29, 2006

Dallas to Chicago: American Airlines Flight 66
Departs: 1:50PM CDT Arrives: 4:06PM CDT
Duration: 2:16 Miles: 801

Chicago to Delhi, India: AA Flight 292
Departs: 7:15PM CDT Arrives: 8:30PM IST (Sunday)
Duration: 14:45 Miles: 7475
Total Duration: 17:01 Total Miles: 8276

Today I will be in the air for over 17 hours total and will arrive in Delhi, India at 8:30PM Sunday night (local India time). I have ten movies with me, but my batteries won't last that long. I have about 1000 e-mail to read (I've been on vacation or traveling the last two weeks), so I have a lot of work to catch up on. I will be as busy or as bored as I want.

SL

No comments: