Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Watch TV and Feel the Burn

For the next four weeks I will be spending a significant amount of time traveling for work. This week has me in Raleigh for the week, and next week I will be in San Jose. The week after that in Salt Lake and the week after in Orlando.

Typically, when I travel I spend a great deal of time in the office, go out to dinner and then work more in the hotel room. Ultimately, even though I am working a great deal I have some free time. I made a decision that when I have free time, I am going to spend some time in the fitness centers in each of the hotels.

I got back from dinner tonight but was not very motivated. My back hurts a bit and I have some work to finish up on. I made up my mind that I was going to work out tomorrow morning, so I booted up the laptop and scanned the channels as Windows loaded.

I ended up finding the beginning of The Biggest Loser on NBC. Angie and I love watching the show (See a previous post about the show) and I am always very motivated by it. Tonight's episode was an even greater motivation. They met with a doctor on the show that explained all of the ancillary benefits to their weight loss. One lost 100 points to his cholesterol. One restored their blood sugar to normal levels. One lost 76 lbs of fat, but she only has lost 65 pounds. How can that be? She's gained 11 lbs of muscle. Another lost three water cooler sized vats of fat. One lowered his BP by 50 points. The stories continue. It has been amazing. I am so moved by their gains (losses), that I'm putting on my socks and sneakers.

As soon as the show is over, I'm going to work out. I want to be one of those success stories.

SL

4 comments:

Angie Lessard said...

You can do anything you want when you put your mind to it. You have such amazing discipline sometimes, that I'm amazed by that! I will pray for you to have the strength to do what you want to do for yourself.

I love you and I know you can do it!

ChefMichele said...

OK Bro.....Hows this offer for ya? I was speaking to our brother Marc and we agree we all need to lose weight. This is my offer....I am willing to put $100 bucks in a pot to see which one of the three of us can be the Biggest Loser. Marc thought it was a cool idea too. We all have someone at home to monitor our loss and we can all do the math. Winner gets the pot of money. I think the incentive of the winnings and the competition between the three of us will do wonders for our physical beings. We all NEED to be healthier and having support to do it is always a good thing. Let me know what you think!

Unknown said...

I'm game. When are we starting (Jan 1)? Also, what are the parameters. First to lose a percentage? Timeframe? Etc?

ChefMichele said...

I will talk to Marc, but I think Jan. 1, 2008 is probably the best time to start. New Year, new resolutions! Definitely have to do the percentage thing, as men lose weight faster than women, and I think I have less to lose ( or I hope so anyway ). Time wise I think we should have a couple months at least, we can discuss a date that seems condusive to all of us. Will email ya with more. Anyone with any ideas, let us know. I think Scott can blog about percentage lost for all of us, keep everyone cheering You on eh? I am excited about this now, should be fun but hard!!