Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Am I capable?

As I was sitting on the plane today (I'm in California for a sales offsite), I began to think hard about my career and the leadership positions I am in today and the one I am currently trying to obtain. This thought process was probably brought on because I started reading Winning by former GE CEO Jack Welch. Many consider Mr. Welch as the foremost expert on leadership, management and, well, winning at business.

Several things have come up recently that have continued my quest to understand my leadership capabilities, and where I should be within my career. First and foremost, I interviewed for a Global Director position this week. The interviews went well and I really don't know if I'll get the position, but I believe it is what I've worked toward for the last several years and that it is a position in which I am well suited.

Combined with the quest for a promotion, I recently shared some of my discoveries around self-awareness and its position with respect to leadership at a church conference. My good friend asked to interview me regarding the topic because he knew we spent some significant time on it in the training that I participated in at Wharton. Clearly, understanding yourself is foundational to being able to understand others...which is key in leading others.

Lastly, I've been thinking about what would happen if I actually received a promotion. Am I capable? Can I lead a team? Can I work hard enough to be sucessful? Can I promote others instead of myself? There are many others questions in which I've been working through. Ultimately, I think I can do the job, and with God's help even be successful - even if I'm scared out of my wits.

SL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott, you're more than qualified and capable...I believe in you!

Angie Lessard said...

Amen Bob! I have no doubt that you can do anything that you set your mind to!! You are the smartest and most intelligent person I know. I love you and have much respect for what you have done with your career!!

Anonymous said...

I've always been impressed with your control and reasoning when dealing with people and business. You are amazing. There's nothing you can't do that you set your mind too. Be all that you can be, I know you can not only do it but will excel at it.