Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Saving Face(book)

I swore I'd never do it. I've been on Angie's and I've been completely lost.

The truth of the matter is that I don't get it.

However, I've succumbed. I joined Facebook.

Why the change of heart? I was messing around with Angie's the other night. I honestly still don't get it. However, I was linking through family and ended up at my sister's page. I looked through her friends and saw cousins that I haven't seen or spoken to in years. Not just a couple of years, but many years. I saw that one particular cousin commented about my picture. I saw young cousins that I last saw when they were babies (they are high schoolers now). When I saw them, I really started feeling like I was missing an opportunity...a chance to reconnect with family that I've allowed to fall out of touch.

I decided that now that I am older and wiser that I'd use the networking site as an opportunity to reconnect with these people. Who knows, maybe even a family reunion with long lost family is in our future.

I'd joined today and I've been poked (not sure what to do with this), befriended, and even asked to confirm that Angie is my spouse. I've been called "a hottie" and thanked for taking care of some basic car repairs.

I've also looked up some high school friends and a couple of other people that were important to me at some point in my life. I look forward to reconnecting with them. I may never get to 575 friends like my buddy Bob, and I will never maintain my page like I will maintain this blog, but I will use it as a tool to connect with others.

Who knows, in the process I may even find myself.

SL

1 comment:

ChefMichele said...

Congrats!! And thank you for the honorable mention. I have reconnected with so many friends from HS, and I keep in touch with alot of people I probably wouldnt on a day to day basis. BTW, those young cousins you havent seen since they were babies? Well the middle one is in her second year of college and the youngest graduated HS last yr. Been tooo long I would say!!