Sunday, March 19, 2006

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

If you've never spent a spring in North Texas, then you may not be aware of the AWESOME power of mother nature that we regularly experience this time of year. I remember my first March/April after moving here, and I would sit by the window and just watch the incredible light show that God provided. I would watch for hours, or at least until I was frightened enough that I might get struck.

I've since learned that this area is really the beginning of 'Tornado Alley', and that springtime thunderstorms were the norm. In fact, they are so necessary due to the very dry hot summers that we suffer through. Over the course of the last year, we've been going through a severe drought. If memory serves, we may have been as much as 25 inches below normal, or more. You could visibly see the lake levels and how low they are.

I think that may be ending with this weekend's rain...it's been POURING since Friday night, and is expected to continue for about 24 more hours. The lightening and thunder have been incredible. Angie and I were both shook awake at 5:30 this morning by an amazing boomer. We both woke and jumped at the same time. The amazing thing is that the kids never stirred. The rain has both good and bad associated with it. We were supposed to go camping and shooting this weekend, but cancelled due to the forecast. However, those inconveniences are minor compared to the benefits. The lawn has greened before our eyes and lake levels (which are actually reservoirs for the Texas water system) have noticeably risen. A normally dry creek behind our house has become a raging river.

Like the benefits and the inconveniences of it raining, so too will there be both when it stops. Although we'll be able to enjoy the outdoors again, the water bill for the lawn and the foundation will be high. The best compromise I can think of is to rain during the week, and stop on the weekends. Oh, if life were so easy.

SL

No comments: