Friday, April 25, 2008

In Demand

It's been one of those periods where there hasn't been a lot of free time...I hate those times. I understand the need to get things done, and I can rationalize that sometimes the things that need to get done all coincide, but man - it's been a tough month, or so.


First is work. For the last 4 weeks, I've been traveling back and forth to our Support Center in Raleigh, North Carolina. In fact, of the last 4 weeks, I've spent 16 nights in a hotel in Raleigh. However, no one at the hotel actually knows me because I am typically out early and in late, with 12-hour days not being uncommon. In fact, on Monday of this week I worked from 7am to about 11pm in preparation for an audit (which was the reason I was spending so much time out there).


Unfortunately, even when I've been home, I haven't really been home because if school. During this period of travel - which usually consisted of flying into Raleigh on Sunday afternoon and home on Wednesday afternoon - I was finishing up a semester in which I went to school full time. That means that I would fly home on Wednesday afternoon and instead of going home, I'd go to class. Then, I'd have class Thursday night, Friday night, eight hours on Saturday and then four more hours on Sunday afternoon, after which I'd go to the airport to start the cycle all over.


That being said - this period has abruptly come to an end. The audit for work successfully completed on Wednesday evening. We passed, and as it was my project, I am receiving the accolades of a job well done. Additionally, school ended last night with what I believe to be a successful final. That means, a successful quarter at work and a successful semester at school.

Now - with some time at home, I can reconnect with Angie and the kids. Unfortunately, life doesn't stop because I need a break. Volleyball games, performances, group, and birthday parties are all demanding my time this weekend. I just can't wait until I get a Saturday to myself, where no one is making any demands of me. I can catch up on a movie or two, and some seriously needed downtime.

Angie calls is unplugging. I call it recharging, and I'm in serious need of some. Maybe next weekend, after yet another trip to Raleigh.

SL

No comments: