Thursday, December 18, 2008

Happy Holidays? Bite Me!

No, I'm not Scrooge. In fact, I love this time of year. I love the way people seem to be just a little nicer to each other (except for when they are stepping on peoples' faces trying to get to the limited quantity sales at Wal-Mart at 5:00am on the day after Thanksgiving). In fact, even though traffic is a lot worse, I’m even a little bit nicer. There’s something to the holiday cheer that gets me.

I do have a peeve, however. I hate the way that Christ is removed from Christmas – like it’s wrong to be a follower of Jesus.

Commercials and corporations seem to go out of their way to eliminate all religious aspects of the holiday. It’s “Happy Holiday” this and “Season’s Greetings” that. What about “Merry Christmas”?

According to the Central Intelligence Agency’s World Factbook, those that claim to be Christians make up more than 80% of American society, yet the less than 20% seem to have been successful in taking out the Christ from Christmas. How does that happen?

How does this same minority eliminate God from schools and all other public establishments?

I’m not sure how this occurs, but I know it bothers me. The founding fathers were farmers, merchants and ministers. They read and knew the bible and gave credit to God for certain rights that we enjoyed. In fact, as I read the First Amendment, God is not prohibited to be included in public works, only that the government cannot insist that God be included. I’m not sure how the ACLU bastardized this and convinced the public that this meant that God cannot be a part of government, and worse, publically worshipped, but they have.

I know that you may read this and think that I’m some religious yahoo, and that’s ok. I also realize that there are enough religious yahoos out there and that they typically give a bad name to all Christians, but I, for one, and done apologizing for my beliefs.

I am a Christian, and thankful that I’ve come to understand the Good News, and I won’t judge you if you haven’t. I’ll pray that you do, however.

And, either way, I’ll greet you with a hearty “Merry Christmas”. None of that “Happy Holidays” crap for me.

SL

3 comments:

ChefMichele said...

Merry Christmas!!!! Well put bro. Never let them ruin your spirit. I learned a long time ago, just because one doesnt believe in the cause, doesnt mean they cant share in the celebration of your belief. I uttered those words, to someone who will always remain between us, many years ago. I say Merry Christmas not knowing what a persons personal beliefs are, hoping they will join in my happiness and joy of mine.

Robin said...

"Good will to all mankind"...and all of that. The point of Christmas that I always see is that so many religions and races in this country come together and are...a bit kinder.

The celebrations is different countries take part at different times of year, and possibly to different deities....but the feeling is the same. Perhaps bombs stop dropping?

I hear you and in a country that is predominantly christian? Why can't we honor that part of our heritage and daily life?

ChefMichele said...

Just had to tell you what happened today. I went to the bank to deposit my paycheck and all the tellers were wearing buttons. They had a picture of a Christmas tree and the button said " Its OK to say Merry Christmas" !! One of the bank customers bought them at a church bazaar. How cool is that?