Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Customer Served

I've posted previously about the lack of customer service or product quality that I have encountered. Because of that fact, I thought it only fair that I post about an excellent customer satisfaction experience that Angie and I recently experienced.

Back in March, I posted about our change from Time Warner to Verizon for all things digital (phone, Internet, and cable). In that post, I commented that the change was precipitated by the lack of customer service exhibited by TWC, more than the service that Verizon had to offer (although, in truth, the fiber optic Internet is FAAAAAAAST!)

However, now that we've had an opportunity to utilize the customer service of Verizon, the change seems to be validated. Back in March, when Verizon connected the house to the fiber at the curb, they unwittingly and unknowingly punctured our sprinkler line. I didn't realize it at the time, and it wasn't until a walk through of the sprinkler system that I discovered the problem. As I saw the water bubbling up from right when the Verizon line came up from the ground and entered the garage, I knew we had a problem.

I told Angie that I'd love to let Verizon know about it, but there is no way they were going to do anything about it. In fact, I was sure they were going to basically say, "Sorry, but there is really nothing we can do about it." I told Angie that if she was interested in calling them to do so, but I wasn't going to waste my time.

Well, a couple of weeks ago she did just that. She called their customer service and they immediately scheduled a contractor to come out and fix the line. She acted all smug because she argued that they would fix it from the beginning. They did - she was right, and I was wrong. This morning, about a week since the repair, a customer service representative called to make sure everything was satisfactory. The perfect conclusion to a very successful customer service interaction.

I guess I've just become too cynical. My livelihood depends on how well not only my engineers serve the customer, but how well I take care of the customer. It seems that Verizon understands this fact, as well.

SL

No comments: