Sunday, May 04, 2008

Going Bananas

I've been introduced to a new game, and although yet to play it, I've bought two of them. The game is Bananagrams. It is very much like Scrabble, but with no board. Additionally, unlike Scrabble, the object is to use up all of your tiles first (no scores for the letters). Simply speaking, the player who uses all of their tiles first, wins. Another major difference is that players make their OWN puzzles, instead of sharing one community puzzle like in Scrabble. The last major difference is that your puzzle board changes during the game since you can add OR remove tiles, words, etc.

The game promotes itself as a funner, more flexible version of Scrabble. It looks like a lot of fun and I'll be bringing one (the tiles are stored in a yellow banana bag) to NY with me and Marissa on Friday. You can play from one to eight players.

Now, you may ask how this game became known to me and why I would go buy two of them without ever actually playing it...or, you may just not give a darn and have decided to go look at someone elses stupid blog (to you, I say "au revior" and allow me to recommend the Friday News FeedBlog).

For those that decided to stay, I was introduced to Bananagrams by colleagues of mine that I work with in North Carolina. As you may know, I've spent the better part of the last five weeks in North Carolina working on a couple of high profile projects. The story of Bananagrams has come up several times - both as a personal entertainment device (played with family and friends), but also as a team building device (used to build cooperation and respect for how others do things). Understanding how a stupid little game can be so effective in many different areas (and still be fun) got me very interested. I look forward to playing and seeing if it is as fun as everyone says. I'll let you know in my post about the weekend in NY.

As an aside - the game has already spread to some more colleagues in Florida. We'll see if the family in NY picks it up and spreads it, too.

SL

5 comments:

The Jon-Paul Lessards! said...

Uh, thought this was supposed to be a "big surprise", not to be revealed till Friday night? Guess things are kinda slow in Texas this week......

NOTE, we are teaching Nat & Cee the Texas state song (clap! clap! clap! clap!) so they will "be allowed in Texas" when we finally come to visit :)

xoxoxo

Unknown said...

I don't even know the song...and by the way, "Deep in the Heart of Texas" is NOT the official state song.

You know I can't keep secrets, and it has been slow, although I now have two blog entries typed up and waiting.

Lastly, Cassie and I played Bananagrams this evening. It is NOT easy, but it is simple to play. And, I think it's gonna be fun.

ChefMichele said...

People, you need to do your research...the official Texas state song is " Texas, Our Texas " which was adopted by Legislature in 1929 and written by William J. Marsh of Ft. Worth. You can read the lyrics at http://www.lsjunction.com/song.htm
Actually its very patriotic and not too bad for an oldie...Now does anyone know what the state song for NY is? Hint - its NOT New York, New York...lol Game sounds great, cant wait to play!! 5 days till Metsslumberfest!!!

Anonymous said...

I Love New York is NY's State Song

The Jon-Paul Lessards! said...

Hey, I never said it was the "Official" Texas state song. It is just the song we are teaching the girls cause it's fun and we like it, PLUS we told them that no one is allowed to enter Texas w/o knowing the song LOL! In fact, Jon-Paul told them that Texas kicked Scoot OUT till he learned the song!

Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Deep in the heart.....of Texas!

xoxoxo