Monday, September 29, 2008

Lonesome Dove

I found myself lost in some kind of reverie, hypnotized by the passing of fields on my right and left. It seem that the further I got from Rowlett, the more that my business and stress unravelled. I remember thinking to myself how great it felt to get out to the country. By the time I got to the campsite, I was a different person.

This weekend, I finally got out to the hunting lease that Angie's cousin and I have access to through deer season. I was hoping to get some dove into the freezer, but that is apparently not in the cards. This weekend it didn't much matter.

I've been very busy at work. My presentation for Vegas looms over all other responsibilities. School is a bear, and most weekends are spent shuffling from one game to another. Things are good, I just needed a break and I knew if I didn't do it this weekend, I wouldn't get another chance.

After securing a pass from Angie (not hard to get, I think she knew I needed a break), I loaded the camper and left. I had a little food, my gun and ammo, fishing poles and a couple of cigars. What more did I need?

I got to Bonham SP at about 2:00pm and set up the camper. By 4:00pm, I was at the lease casting into the pond. After Angie's cousin showed up, we drove around the property to check on the deer feeders. He left, and I hunted. Sunset came quick and I hadn't bagged a bird. I returned to the campsite, had dinner, and lit a cigar. I watched the stars and fireflies light up the sky. It was just what the doctor ordered.

On Sunday, I got up early and watched the sun rise creating an amazing rainbow over the horizon. It is incredible seeing the ROYGBIV on the horizon as the sun came up from the East. I hunted over a cleared wheat field for several hours, shooting (and missing) at one bird. I then fished as the day got hot and caught and released a small large-mouth bass. The one fish made the whole weekend worth it.

It's funny, but I saw virtually no dove while hunting, but a bunch near the property when I travelled back and forth. That's ok, I saw a large doe and some duck while I was on the property.

That alone will make it worth it.

They say that a bad day spent hunting and fishing is still better than a good day doing anything else. I believe them.

SL

2 comments:

ChefMichele said...

Well glad you had some relaxation this weekend, but you seemed to have left out the most exciting parts of your weekend in the country. Something about keys???

Robin said...

God Scott...you suck! LOL, I don't hunt, wont' hunt, but won't miss an opportunity to dig at ya!

You caught a fish...good for you, I'd of thrown it back to...hate cleaning bass, any bass (Ok, don't hunt, but I do fish!)

I envy you that kind of weekend, I truly, truly do. Unfortunately, our busiest time is late summer, early fall...lackadaisical all winter and nothing to do! (don't even THINK about telling me to don a parka and sit in the snow to bag some unsuspecting animal...ain't happening!) We do haul a bunch of shit in the winter (literally) but that's really when we can travel.

When I met SE he planned us a carribean cruise...didn't work out. First, (and only?) "vacation" he took me on was Minnesota in JANUARY! And I still adore this man? What is WRONG with me!?!

BUT! If we get the "little" house finished (2 bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen...the works!) before December I'm a thinkin' we can hire it out in the winter as a "hunting cabin" (pheasant) and I'd be please to offer it to you and Angie (and adorable children of course!) on a trial basis, free of charge in exchange for your thoughts! (keg stays in the "big" house...but I'll give you the code to the garage!"

LOL! It's a though. We only have S. African employees from April-November (for now)!

Glad I had a chance finally, to check back in with ya!