Monday, January 21, 2008

Office Space

For the last couple of weekends we've been playing musical bedrooms. Cassie has moved into Dylan's room, Dylan has moved into my office and my office has moved into Cassie's room. Why all the bother? Ultimately, the answer is simple - I need my own space.

When we bought the house (5 years last month), we had an option for a fifth bedroom or an "owner's retreat". Had we chosen bedroom, then a room above the master bath would have just been another room upstairs. But, because we selected the retreat option, we have a hidden room on the second floor that is only accessible through our bedroom on the first floor. The builder has a more vulgar unofficial name for the room, but I have my own name for it - HOME OFFICE. Even though we put Cassie in it, we always knew that it was going to be my own private space. When we bought the house, I didn't even work from home, but now that I do it is more needed than ever.

My office today is a shared space with Justin. I know he's never home, or because he sleeps vampire hours, he's sleeps in Dylan's or Marissa's room, but sharing that room with him is a disaster. He keeps it as messy as you possibly can, and because it is a shared space, I don't have room for all my stuff. Soon that will end.

Cassie has moved into her new room (repainted from dark grey and brick red to a nice pink). The new office is painted a beautiful chocolate brown. Today, the book cases go up, tomorrow the ceiling fan. This coming weekend, I'll move and install the flat panel TV. It will have a working area, a day bed (for naps) and my collectibles that have been boxed since I moved to Texas. That will empty out the large upstairs bedroom for Dylan and Justin to share - and everyone will be happy.

Now, when you come over, we can share some quiet time in my office. Just don't touch my Star Trek stuff.

SL

9 comments:

ChefMichele said...

StarTrek stuff, Pewter stuff, shotglass collection, NY stuff, Mets stuff, College texts, and travel stuff. Thats alot of STUFF!! I think you need a bigger space. Either that or get rid of some of your STUFF. LOL. Cant wait to see Cassie's new room, she told me all about it. Do you really think you can have private time in your private space when someone comes to visit? I think NOT. Congrats on your new space.

Unknown said...

You forgot the motorcycles...Angie is in charge and it already looks great. I'll post a picture when we are done moving in - hopefully by the end of this weekend.

AND, my office is my Engedi...

SL

ChefMichele said...

See I knew I forgot something, I was racking my brains out too. The motorcycles....thats it!! LOL Glad to hear all your collectibles are being put out...thats really nice. Looking forward to the pics.

Unknown said...

Actually, to your original point, not everything is going up. Pewter, NY, Mets, shotglasses and motorcycles won't probably go up in the office. We'll be focusing on travel stuff and Star Trek.

It's gonna be sweet.

SL

Unknown said...

Geeky as hell, but sweet!

SL

ChefMichele said...

Well if anything you are a COOL GEEK!! I guess that makes me a geek too for thinking your cool!!

Unknown said...

or, it makes you wrong!

Truth be told, Angie and I accelerated the move. Everything is moved in. She just needs to do some decorating and we're set. It looks AWESOME. Very executive.

SL

Unknown said...

Congrats....I'm keeping that in mind for when I build a home! Love that feature!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Bob. Come on over whenever and check it out. I dare say it isn't as practical as the shed, but a little more comfortable. :) No fridge yet, though. I'm probably not going to put one in because no one would see me anymore.

SL